Job Title: Senior Registration Assistant (Data Jobs)
Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Duty Station: Uganda
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: The Senior Registration Assistant is a member of the Registration team. The incumbent is responsible for supporting all activities related to registration, which may also include functions related to reception, filing and data management. S/he provides counselling to, and responds to queries from, asylum seekers and refugees regarding UNHCR’s registration procedures and their rights and entitlements. S/he liaises closely with protection staff and partners to ensure timely identification and referral of persons of concern (POC) for protection follow up. The Senior Registration Assistant may assist in compiling and analysing information related to registration activities in the Operation. The incumbent may provide interpretation and/or translation services in cases for which s/he has the required language competencies.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in the implementation of registration strategies and methodologies for POC.
- Conduct registration interviews when required in accordance with registration standards and guidance.
- Provide counselling to, and responds to queries from, asylum seekers and refugees regarding UNHCR’s registration procedures and their rights and entitlements.
- Maintain accurate and up-to date records and data related to all individual registration cases.
- Identify persons with specific needs and ensure timely referral to protection follow-up as required.
- Collaborate with protection staff and/or partners in the delivery of assistance and programming, including provision of identity and entitlement documentation.
- Draft correspondence and reports relating to registration activities in the Operation, when required
- Provide statistics and draft reports related to registration data, as requested.
- Act as interpreter and translator when needed.
- Refer cases to other units within the office and to implementing partners as necessary.
- Draft and submit reports and statistics related to registration.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Senior Registration Assistant job opportunity should hold G5 – 2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
- Field(s) of Education: Social Sciences, Statistics, Mathematics, Information Technology
- Good computer skills, particularly in data management.
- Language Requirements: English is essential for this Job Opening.
- Data Management
- IT-Computer literacy
- Data Collection and Analysis
- IT Refugee Systems & Applications
- Programme Management (project formulation, programme cycles and reporting standards)
- Experience in international organization (United Nations or similar)
- Experience in Registration
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
- Analytical Thinking
- Technological Awareness
- Planning and Organizing
Desirable: Training in basic principles of international protection. Experience in working with UNHCR proGres software.
How to Apply:
All interested Ugandan nationals who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) in the aforementioned capacity are encouraged to click on the link below and follow the application instructions after reviewing the job details.
Deadline: 13th May 2021