Organization: United Nations Volunteers (UNV)
Host Organization: Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Human Rights Officer
The United Nations Volunteers (UNV) programme contributes to peace and development through volunteerism worldwide. We work with partners to integrate qualified, highly motivated and well supported UN Volunteers into development programming and promote the value and global recognition of volunteerism. UNV is administered by the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) and reports to the UNDP/UNFPA/UNOPS Executive Board.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist in regularly updating the OHCHR in Uganda website, Facebook and Twitter accounts, and with relevant content and quality photographs in a timely manner;
- Assist in developing coordinated, innovative social media strategies and campaigns involving multiple UN Agencies and key partners.
- Assist in conducting communications and information needs assessments for OHCHR, UN joint programming and initiatives, and make proposals to integrate public information and programme.
- Support the development/production of information and communications instruments and materials for awareness-raising campaigns, including briefing materials and press releases in coordination with the supervisor.
- Support OHCHR publication activities, such as drafting articles, content management, norms for publishing, design, maintenance of regular contact with printers and other suppliers to ensure quality production.
- Assist in promoting and disseminating information and communication materials for launching initiatives and publications.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the UN Volunteers Public Information Officer job must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Mass communication
- Interest and/or experience in human rights, political affairs, and communications is required. Experience working with the media is an added advantage.
- Experience in organising and coordinating public events and/or in drafting communications for press releases, and web presence is desirable.
- Previous experience as a volunteer and/or experience of engagement with human rights events would be highly regarded.
- Language skills: English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
- Candidate age: between 18 and 29 throughout the entire duration of their assignment. Applicants must be nationals of or legal residents in the country of assignment.
- Area of expertise: Human rights, Telecommunications systems, Public information and reporting
Area of expertise details:
- Knowledge of human rights issues and ability to identify related problems in their political, ethnic, racial, gender equality and socio-economic dimensions.
- Knowledge of institutional mandates of human rights organizations, prevailing policies and procedures.
- Research and analytical skills, including ability to identify and participate in the resolution of human rights issues.
- Ability to identify sources for data collection, analyze information and draft human rights reports.
- Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed
Competencies values: Accountability, Ethics and Values, Planning and Organizing, Working in Teams
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join the United Nations Volunteers UNV in this capacity should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 13th May 2021