Job Title: Communications Associate
Organization: United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UN WOMEN)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Communication and Advocacy Specialist
About UN WOMEN:
The UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the centre of all its efforts, the UN Women leads and coordinates the United Nations system-wide efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action. It provides strong and coherent leadership and technical advice in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
Job Summary: Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Communication and Advocacy specialist, the Communications Associate participates in the implementation of the corporate communications strategy, as well as in the design, management and implementation of the Country Office communications and publication strategies which are geared to influence the development agenda, promote public and media outreach and mobilize political and financial support for UN Women.
The Communications Officer works in close collaboration with the Programme teams, staff of other UN Agencies, UN Communications Group ensuring successful UN Women communication strategy implementation.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
Provides support to the planning and design of internal and external strategies for communications and outreach focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Analysis of requirements and synthesis of proposals for elaboration of the CO communications and outreach strategy based on the corporate communications strategy.
- Development/production of communication and advocacy instruments and materials for marketing and awareness-raising campaigns, including briefing materials and press releases in coordination with the supervisor.
- Synthesis of proposals for project formulations to integrate advocacy and communication strategies into all aspects of UN Women’s programmes.
Contributes to the implementation of the CO publications strategy and plan focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Effective implementation of the CO publications strategy and plan.
- Management of some CO publication activities, such as drafting articles, content management, norms for publishing, design, maintenance of regular contact with printers and other suppliers to ensure production and publications dissemination
Provides contributions to the UN Women Regional and International websites, web-based knowledge management system and Social media channels focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support programme staff with preparation of articles, Op-eds and other materials for uploading on the websites
- Preparation of the content for the web sites to ensure consistency of the materials
- Maintaining electronic filing of articles, print materials and photos for office use
Supports visibility of UN Women Programmes focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Launches and campaigns
- Promotion and dissemination of corporate advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives and publications.
- Promotion and maintenance of public information campaigns on UN Women activities, results of SDGs, International conventions and frameworks on Gender Equality, 16-Days Campaigns of Activism against Gender-based Violence, International Women’s Day, Rural Women’s Day, engendering National planning and budgeting-, under the supervision of Gender and Communications Capacity Development Specialist.
- Preparation and dissemination of press-releases, reports, civic education and community awareness to government, civil society and other partners where appropriate, to support projects.
- Support media coverage of UN Women activities and key events.
- Public information
- Timely and effective responses to inquiries for public information materials.
Support knowledge building and management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Support documentation of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country goals and activities.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice including corporate communications repositories.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women Communications Associate should have completed secondary education. Required
- Bachelor’s degree in media relations, journalism, communications
- A minimum of five years of relevant experience at the national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy.
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages, good knowledge and experience in handling of web-based management systems including social media management.
- Experience in media relations
- Experience in advocacy/ communication messages and materials development.
- Language: Fluency in English is required.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards
- Advocates and promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UN Women
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
- Treats all people fairly without favoritism
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience and contributes to UN Women Programme Areas
- Develops knowledge in Programme Areas
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Programme Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to implement communications and publications strategies
- Advocates effectively
- Communicates sensitively and effectively across different constituencies
- Excellent communication skills, excellent writing skills
- Ability to conceptualize issues and analyze data
- Demonstrates strong IT skills
Management and Leadership:
- Focuses on impact and result for the client
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Ability to remain calm, in control and good humored even under pressure and tight deadlines
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities
- Responds positively to critical feedback and differing points of view
- Solicits feedback about the impact of his/her own behavior
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join the United Nations should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 7th May 2021