Job Title: Project Officer – Systems Strengthening
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Systems Strengthening Manager
Cordaid believes in a world without poverty and exclusion. We strive for just and sustainable societies where every person counts. We stand for knowledge and talent sharing between North and South, between farmers and businesses, between activists and policymakers. Where poverty, conflict and exclusion divide societies, we connect people and communities. We stand for professionalism, expertise and solidarity across borders. We aim at maximizing our social impact and contributing to systemic change. We operate where natural disasters strike, where conflicts tear up communities and where lack of opportunities and service delivery keep families in extreme poverty.
Cordaid is one of the leading CSO’s in the Netherlands, working in fragile contexts on Health, Resilience, Economic Opportunities, Humanitarian Aid and Security & Justice. Apart from our work abroad we also contribute to new forms of job creation and social innovation in The Netherlands.
Cordaid is a member of the international Catholic networks Caritas and CIDSE and we are active in worldwide civil society networks. We work in around 30 countries in Africa, Middle East and Asia.
Job Summary: The Programme Officer will be directly support Cordaid’s Systems Strengthening pillar that focuses on Health, Education and Justice. She/He will lead implementation, monitoring and reporting of all health and justice projects, contribute to developing new and maintaining existing partnerships and work closely with the rest of the team to design new innovative project ideas.
Under the overall direction of the Systems Strengthening Manager, and in accordance with Cordaid policies, procedures and practices, the Programme Officer will therefore ensure that health and security projects are running efficiently and effectively. S/he will closely work with program and operations colleagues to ensure efficient and effective support to programme and project development, implementation and closure while maintaining strong internal controls. S/he would also closely monitor and facilitate the evaluation of results.
Contract information: One Year, renewable based on performance and funds
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Providing technical assistance and Global health, SRHR, SGBV expertise (?) project to ensure that Cordaid delivers the quality outcomes agreed upon, outputs and services as formulated in the approved project proposal. Provide advice on changes and improvements where needed.
- Ensure the preparation of progress and financial reports and annual plans and budget to be submitted to the donor for approval. Participate in internal and external audits.
- In close collaboration with Systems Strengthening Manager and sector experts, contribute to the diversification and growth of Cordaid’s health and just portfolio within Uganda with a focus on quality and impact.
- Conduct regular field visits to monitor the progress of programmes and projects on the ground and ensure effective oversight of and support of local partners taking corrective action with minimal delay.
- Maintain effective coordination with other Project leaders/coordination to enable the development of an integrated and innovative portfolio.
- Maintain effective coordination with the Regional PMEL manager to ensure timely and correct measurement of results, outcomes and impacts and to facilitate learning towards continuous improvements in the design and delivery of programmes and projects.
- Contributes to develop a Country Strategic Report and the Annual Country Report.
- Ensure compliance with reporting systems and standard especially Devresults.
- Identify and mitigate operational risks of health and justice projects with guidance from Systems Strengthening Manager.
- Implement long-term and short-term programs that create new opportunities for acquisition, retention and transformation of a diverse set of private and governmental donors.
- Support the development health and justice interventions.
- Contribute to proposal development process and technical writing for award opportunities from government agencies, multilateral and bilateral institutions, and major foundations. This include pre-proposal, proposal development, post-submission phases in accordance to donor requirements and standards. Ensure inclusion of the relevant sectoral strategies in the process.
Representation and Communication
- Develop and maintain close relationships with partners and counterparts.
- Ensure that Cordaid programmes and partnerships are actively represented in coordination structures. Share progress and update on programme activities within the cluster system and relevant donors.
- Contribute to the development of project related documents such as success stories and publications.
- Facilitate documentation of stories and media materials with human interest related to Cordaid and partners’ programmes and projects and liaise with concerned units for broader coverage (digital and printed, media).
Financial & Operational Compliance
- Ensure project quality adherence, contractual compliance and timely reporting.
Knowledge Management and Innovation
- Contribute to the development and introduction of innovation to ensure Cordaid is continually incorporating best practice approaches in Country Office operations.
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for corporate development planning and knowledge building and, contribute to relevant Communities of Experts and Communities of Practice accordingly.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate must hold a Master’s degree in Social Work, Social Science, Public Health and other relevant fields is not mandatory but an added advantage
- Three to five years of proven experience in project development, implementation, monitoring and reporting.
- Demonstrable experience of driving advocacy, communications, and fundraising approaches.
- Excellent (proposal) writing skills
- Proven experience of representing an organisation externally to key stakeholders, maintaining donor relations.
- Experience in working with national/local actors and capacity building of national and local organisations on private sector development
- Ability to live and work under pressure in a rapidly changing and sometimes insecure environment
- Team player with excellent communication and strong participatory leadership skills
- Excellent interpersonal, coordination and negotiation skills, and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, creativity and innovation, learning, accountability, planning and organization, results orientation, teamwork and technological solutions.
Terms of employment: The Cordaid Country office HR manual and terms of employment are applicable regarding the terms of employment.
Working conditions: 40 hours a week.
Note: For any information about Cordaid, please visit our website: www.cordaid.org
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 30th April 2021