Organisation: United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees was established on December 14, 1950 by the United Nations General Assembly. UNHCR’s mandate under the Statute of the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is to lead and co-ordinate action for international protection to refugees; seek permanent solutions for the problems of refugees and safeguard refugee rights and well-being. UNHCR has an additional mandate concerning issues of statelessness, as it is given a designated role under Article 11 of the 1961 Convention on the Reduction of Statelessness.
Job Summary: Under the overall guidance of the Senior Communications or Donor Relations Officer, the Associate Reporting Officer contributes to production, editing and quality control of reports for his/her Area of Responsibility (AOR). By systematization and sharing of accurate and timely information, the incumbent promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNHCR.
S/he establishes close contacts with all UNHCR sections in the AOR to gather and analyse information. S/he maintains effective professional relationships with a wide variety of donors, operational and implementing partners, UN agencies, and other stakeholders to gather, analyse and disseminate information about activities of UNHCR and its partners.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Keep abreast of all developments in the country operation/ bureau/ division or other entity to prepare appropriate briefings and reports.
- Draft regular daily, weekly and monthly up-date for internal and external audience (including donors and media).
- Consolidate and analyse data on programme implementation, achievements and indicators in all sectors under AoR in order to facilitate the preparation of periodic reports and activity-specific reports as may be required and ensure timeliness of such reports.
- Participate in annual reporting and planning process.
- Work closely with Information Management to ensure accurate and attractive data presentation, including maps.
- Support the monitoring of UNHCR’s partnerships and consolidate information about Partners activities.
- Assist in the preparation of briefing kits and presentations for missions and visitors.
- Assist in the preparation of reports for donors, in compliance with specific donor requirements. Make efforts to enhance donor satisfaction by ensuring quality reporting on programmatic results to donor. Assist in providing visibility for donors¿ contributions to UNHCR.
- Research/analyse, interpret and also, monitor and review information and data from regular and wide variety of sources for internal and external reporting.
- Prepare and distribute minutes of meetings.
- Provide technical support, training and clarification on UNHCR¿s reporting policies and deadlines.
- May prepare press releases; conceptualize, draft and edit stories for external communications products and support all aspects of its production, including fact checking, proofreading and quality control.
- Support UNHCR inter-agency coordination initiatives and leadership through provision of reporting and secretariat functions where relevant.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Associate Reporting Officer job should have three years of relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 2 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or one year relevant experience with Doctorate degree
- Field(s) of Education: Public Administration, Communication, International relations; Political Science; Law or other relevant field.
- Experience in conducting, participating in and reporting on meetings, and drafting reports.
- Experience in programme/project development, planning, implementation, and/or monitoring.
- Please also note that English is essential for this Job Opening.
- Experience in a field mission and at Headquarters / in the UN Common System and country context.
- Experience undertaking operational and analytical work in the field of international affairs, international security, humanitarian affairs, development or journalism.
- Donor relations or liaison with media.
- CO-Strategic Communication;
- IT-Computer Literacy;
- PG-UNHCR’s Programmes;
- UN-UNHCR Operations, mandate, principles and policies;
- DM-Data collection methodologies;
- For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
- For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
- Organizational Awareness
- Teamwork & Collaboration
- Commitment to Continuous Learning
- Client & Result Orientation
- Judgement and Decision Making
- Empowering and Building Trust
- Analytical Thinking
- Planning and Organizing
- Political Awareness
NB: No late applications will be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates may be required to sit for a written test and/or oral interview. Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
How to Apply:
All candidates who wish to join the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: Monday 3rd May 2021