Job Title: Building Engineer Supervisor
Organisation: United States US Embassy, US Mission in Uganda
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Salary: UGX 157,828,400 /=
Position Number: Kampala-2020-018
About US Embassy:
The United States Embassy in Kampala, Uganda has enjoyed diplomatic relations with Uganda for over 30 years. Ambassador Natalie E. Brown currently heads the U.S Mission to Uganda. The Mission is composed of several offices and organizations all working under the auspices of the Embassy and at the direction of the Ambassador.
Among the offices operating under the U.S Mission to Uganda are:
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID)
- Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
- Peace Corps
Job Summary: Under the supervision of the Senior/Deputy Facility Manager, the Building Engineer Supervisor leads a team of skilled tradespersons responsible for maintaining all of the New Embassy Compound / New Consulate Compound (NEC/NCC) operating systems. Included among these are the Mechanical and Electrical Systems, Building Automation System (BAS), Chiller Plant, Air Handling Units, VAV System, Potable Water, Sanitary Sewage, Storm Sewage, Oil Water Separator Systems, Fuel Delivery, Distribution, and Fuel Monitoring Systems, and the Fire Alarm and Fire Suppression Systems; Electrical Power Generation and Distribution Systems; Voltage Regulators; Transformers; Switchgear; Panel boards, Automatic Transfer Switches; Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) motors and controllers; and Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) Systems. Additional responsibilities include supervision of the custodial and grounds maintenance staff, and overseeing an aggressive recycling and energy conservation program.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
NOTE: All applicants must address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each item.
- The applicants for the United States US Embassy Building Engineer Supervisor job opportunity should have completed a 4-year Bachelor of Science degree, or equivalent, in Mechanical/Electrical/General/Civil Engineering from an accredited university program is required. To be acceptable, the curriculum must: (1) be in a school of engineering with at least one curriculum accredited or equivalent by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) (or a host-country engineering board equivalent) as a professional engineering curriculum.
- At least five years of experience working as a project manager/supervisor/foreman at a manufacturing plant, major resort, hospital, office complex, or a large university/school system managing a preventative maintenance program that incorporates or utilizes a CMMS to track scheduled and unscheduled maintenance requests and their related expenses.
- The incumbent’s work experience must demonstrate a progression of increased responsibility throughout their career, including developing scopes of work, construction documents (plans and specifications) and cost estimates for new construction projects, building repairs, equipment overhauls, and equipment replacement schedules.
- In addition, the candidate should have a minimum of one year of experience in management and supervisory duties.
- The incumbent must have superior knowledge, exceptional technical skills, and a thorough understanding of preventive maintenance techniques and practices, and the use of KPIs in managing an effective preventive maintenance program.
- Must be thoroughly familiar with heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning (HVAC) systems with an in-depth understanding of thermodynamics and how they apply to HVAC theories and principles, well-versed in HVAC controls including motor starters, thermostats, humidistats, variable frequency drive (VFD) motors and controllers, motorized and gravity dampers, building pressurization, building automation systems and sensors; a thorough understanding of International Building Code standards, mechanical / ASHREA standards, indoor air quality standards, ductwork sizing and air flow principles, and fire and life safety codes.
- Must have excellent knowledge of power generation and electrical distribution systems, voltage regulation, automatic transfer switches, branch circuit electrical wiring, and Ohms law.
- Must be an experienced supervisor capable of managing a medium size maintenance staff of 10-25 subordinate personnel. Proficient in the use of MS Office software (Word, Excel, Power Point etc.) AutoCAD and other special computer programs required for this position.
- The incumbent will have superior ability and skills in the following areas: work independently with minimal supervision from the Senior/Deputy Facility Manager; able to serve as the acting Facility Manager in his/hers absence ; develop and manage work plans for self and others including the distribution of work assignments to facility maintenance personnel; manage an effective preventive maintenance program, using CMMS software; develop statements of work, perform feasibility studies for proposed projects, draft and assemble construction documents (plans and specifications), and cost estimates; maintain an adequate inventory of critical spare parts and specialized tools for equipment and systems; assist in developing annual budgets, responses to DOS requests for facility data, and tracking of unscheduled maintenance issues; apply International Building Code and industry best practices to facility management and small, Post-managed projects.
- Must be able to read and understand civil, structural, mechanical and electrical drawings including as-built and new project layout drawings, equipment schedules, wiring schematics, and riser diagrams; and, skilled at writing detailed technical reports that may include translating technical jargon into laymen’s language.
- Must have a driver’s license with a clean driving record.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and be able to handle a large workload and multiple tasks simultaneously. Must be highly organized. This may be tested.
- Language: English level IV (Fluent) Written/Speaking/Reading is required. In order to translate local technical information, contract documents, and correspondences from the local language into English for the Senior/Deputy Facility Manager. This may be tested.
How to Apply:
All those interested in working with the US mission in Kampala should send their applications online at the link below.
Deadline: 10th May 2021