Organisation: Uganda Revenue Authority (URA)
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) was established by the Uganda Revenue Authority Statute of 1991 and set up in September of the same year as a central body for assessment and collection of specified revenue, to administer and enforce the laws relating to such revenue and to provide for related matters. This statute incorporated all the laws that were in force then regarding tax collection. The new organization (URA) amalgamated the three tax administration departments that were responsible for all the taxes collected by the Central Government of Uganda.
Job Summary: The Officer Media Relation will implement strategies for managing internal and external communications to enhance information flow and media relations.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
To implement identified strategies in the management of the media relations and in the dissemination of business information to the public through the media in line with the organizational guidelines.
- Compile updates on the different departmental activities such as Revenue performance data, Vacancies, requests for Bids, new procedures in place, cases won in court, etc. in preparation for public communication
- Receive, edit and proof read the various reports and information from the departments and reformatting them before submission to the media houses
- Book space with the selected media house, forward the information and receiving acknowledgement to confirm they receipt of the information
- Issue and confirm invitations to the planned events, obtain attendance lists to verify attendance for accountability purposes.
- Receive invoices for work done and forward to the respective departments for approval and payment processing
- Update the media account data base with all Information regarding information disseminated.
- Organize the URA planned and impromptu media engagements to disclose and explain issues arising
- Monitor and evaluate media relations through soliciting, obtaining and analyzing feedback on the strategies implemented
- Develop articles and materials on topical issues and submit to line manager for review and approval for dissemination
Participate in Public relations campaigns to educate the public about emerging URA products and services to increase awareness and compliance
- Draft and submit a publicity plan to the line management for review and approval.
- Design campaigns materials e.g. articles, fliers, posters, review the designs & material
- Book selected media house and submit the approved materials for publication
- Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the media campaign through soliciting, obtaining and analyzing feedback on campaigns held
Monitor and evaluate all media interactions/activities to identify issues concerning URA Business that may require special attention
- Scan daily print and broadcast media to identify any issues concerning URA business that may require further management or staff awareness
- Draft responses on issues in the media that require URA response and liaise with the respective Media house or advertising agent in case of errors that require rectifying
- Maintain an updated database of all the URA related stories in the newspapers by scanning and filing hard copies
- Provide coverage and publication for internal events as assigned by the line manager
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant for the Uganda Revenue Authority (URA) Officer Media Relations job must hold an honors Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or Mass Communications from a recognized University
- At least two years of working experience in a media environment, specifically in a newsroom in a reputable organization
- Good knowledge of the URA Operations
- Excellent writing and reporting skills
- Negotiation skills, ability to build relations and networking
- Ability to deliver results with minimal supervision
- Ability to work well in a team
- The job holder must be highly innovative & creative
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Possession of good Interpersonal skills
- Keen interest in latest media trends
- Specialized training in Public Relations
- Exposure to taxation and business at a global scale and knowing how the media works
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join URA should apply online at the link below.
Deadline: 1st May 2021