Job Title: WASH Specialist (Urban WASH)
Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
Duty Station: Kampala,
Reports to: WASH Manager
The United Nations
Children’s Fund (UNICEF) is mandated by the UN general assembly to advocate for
the protection of children’s rights, to help meet their basic needs and expand
their opportunities to reach their full potential. Together with our partners,
we work in 190 countries and territories to translate that commitment into
practical action, focusing special effort on reaching the most vulnerable and
excluded children, to the benefit of all children, everywhere.
Job Summary: The WASH Specialist (Urban WASH) reports to
the WASH Manager (Level 4) for guidance and general supervision. The Specialist
supports the development, preparation, management, implementation, monitoring
and evaluation of the WASH programme within the country programme. The
Specialist provides technical guidance and management support throughout the programming
processes, to facilitate the administration and achievement of the WASH-related
output results in the country programme especially focusing on Urban WASH
component of WASH programming in the country.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Programme development and planning
- Programme management, monitoring and delivery of results
- Technical and operational support for programme implementation
- Humanitarian WASH preparedness and response
- Networking and partnership building
- Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The ideal candidate for the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
WASH Specialist (Urban WASH) job opportunity should hold an advanced
university degree in one of the following fields is required: public
health, social sciences, behavior change communication, sanitary
engineering or another relevant technical field.
- Additional relevant post-graduate courses that complement/supplement
the main degree are a strong asset.
- A minimum of five years of professional experience in WASH-related
programmes for developing countries is required. The experience in Urban
WASH (especially on the area of sanitation/faecal sludge management) is
- One year of deployment in a developing country is required.
- At least one three-month deployment mission in a humanitarian
situation (with UN-Govt-INGO) is desirable.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official UN
language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language
is an asset.
- UNICEF’s values: Care,
Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core
competencies of Nurtures, Leads and Manages People (1), Demonstrates
Self-Awareness and Ethical Awareness (2), Works Collaboratively with
others (2), Builds and Maintains Partnerships (2), Innovates and Embraces
Change (2), Thinks and Acts Strategically (2), Drives to achieve impactful
results (2), and Manages ambiguity and complexity (2)
- Functional Competencies: Analyzing (3), Applying technical expertise (3), and Deciding and
Initiating action (2)
The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment
process (Application, interview meeting, processing, or training). The United
Nations does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
How to Apply:
qualified and interested candidates desiring to serve the United Nations in the
aforementioned capacity should express their interest by visiting the UN
recruitment website and clicking Apply Now.
Deadline: 11th March 2021