Job Title: Human Resources Officer
Organisation: Church World Service
Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
Church World Service was founded
in 1946 and is a cooperative ministry of 37 Christian denominations and
communions, providing sustainable self-help, development, disaster relief, and
refugee assistance around the world.
Job Summary: The
Human Resources Officer is responsible for the administration and management of
staff welfare and supports recruitment including conducting (QC) quality control
of HR documents and procedures. The HR Officer operates as a generalist and
carries out responsibilities in the following functional areas: departmental
development, Human Resources Information System (HRIS), supports recruitment
and retention, employee relations, training and development and benefits
administration. The HR Officer manages the administration of the human
resources policies, procedures, and programs. The Human Resources Officer
coordinates implementation of services, policies, and programs through Human
Key Duties and
- Develop, update and ensure effective
implementation of new hires on-boarding and training programs.
- Conduct new hire onboarding ensuring the
new hires have understood the policies and procedures, sign offs and other
- Conduct quality check before a new
employee reports to work by verifying the Certificate of Good
Conduct/Police Clearance Certificate/MIE and conduct background checks and
Hire right for international staff.
- Ensure timely and accurate entry of
employee data regarding initial hire, transfers, promotion and
terminations, on to the established Human Resource Information Systems
(HRIS), and ensure the same is captured in the payroll system.
- Work with HR Assistant to ensure staff
list (for CWS Africa staff) is up to date when there has been staff
changes (new hires, promotions, deletions, etc. and save the same on the
file server by end of every month.
- Ensure statutory documents are provided
and relevant forms filled by the new hire.
- Administers staff pension scheme,
ensuring completeness of relevant documents and liaising with finance
payroll processing contact and fund administrator. Ensure pension forms
have been submitted to the fund administrator before the payroll is paid.
- Work with unit heads in regards to
updating the JDs, placing adverts and take through the entire recruitment
and hiring process including participating in interviews.
- Prepare staff contracts and monitor
expiry of the same. Liaise with managers/head of units to update them of
- Work with your supervisors, to identify
and notify staff in advance of the contracts that are not being renewed.
- Oversee CWS Africa staff medical and
other insurance coverage. This includes but not limited to enrolment,
deletions, issuance of medical cards, trainings, debits, credits,
- Ensure field staff and any other
traveling staffs are informed of the relevant travel vaccinations to be
taken and facilitate the same for a group.
- Establish schedules for all medical and
other insurance renewals, monitor and record timelines.
- Maintain an accurate staff/dependent
medical list on monthly basis and update payroll office on the deductions
to be made.
- Keeps a track of payments made to the
different insurances on yearly basis. Share the payment report on
- Work with HRM to ensure international
staff/dependents have been enrolled on medical and other insurances
accordingly and provide support to international staff in Africa.
- Develop process flow of all relevant HR
processes and procedures including SOP and conduct training of the same.
- Track applicant flow, maintain
eligibility list (in liaison with hiring manager) of qualified candidates
for future consideration, help collect and analyze recruitment data.
- Perform other duties that may be
assigned to ensure effective administration of CWS Africa Human Resources
section so as to meet the program’s objectives and maintain high
Qualifications, Skills and
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s
Degree in Human resource management or related field
- Higher Diploma in Human Resource is
- Eight (8) years of paid work experience
- Two (2) years’ work experience in a HR
position in a busy HR office is required.
- One (1) year experience managing medical
and other staff insurance covers preferred.
- One (1) year managing recruitment both
nationally and internationally preferred.
- Previous experience working with an
International NGO strongly desired.
- A member of Human Resource Management
association or related preferred.
- Highly proficient in Excel and
- Skilled at learning new technologies
- Skilled at analyzing processes and
translating them into automated solutions.
- Committed to exceptional customer
- Skilled at multi-tasking and comfortable
- Skilled at working in a matrix
- Highly collaborative.
- Committed to and conform with the
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply online at the link below.