humanitarian and development organization that positively contributes towards
improving the living standards and conditions of those adversely affected by
disasters and conflict in the Horn, East & Central Africa by implementing
WASH, Health, Education, Livelihoods, Community service & development and
Protection programs in the region for a period of more than 20 years.
multi-sectoral Program for refugees in Oruchinga settlement (Isingiro
district), Nakivale settlement (Isingiro district) and Nyakabande Transit
Center (Kisoro district).
Finance and Administration Officer establishes and maintains efficient
administrative systems and procedures as well as control mechanisms to support
the smooth running of the operations and ensures compliance with HIJRA/UNHCR
administrative and financial rules and procedures. The incumbent manages the
day to day financial and administrative resources of the office; conducts
regular checks of the internal controls, leads the preparation of the monthly
accounts closure of the operation, proposes the administrative budgets of the
office, ensuring that disbursements are in accordance with the administrative
budget and HIJRA/UNHCR’s Financial Rules
- Maintain the accounts of the partners
(Sub-grants) by keeping an updated file on the disbursements and the
expenditures incurred and qualified by HIJRA at any given time and
reviewing and filing the qualified expenditures from the partners.
- Ensure that all the money received is
accurately recorded in the source document in readiness to posting on a
- Maintain electronic and hard copy filing
system and retrieve documents from filing system when required
- Post payments into the online banking and
remit them to the Payee upon authorization
- Receive documents from the field and
confirm accuracy with the attached document checklist
- Accurately and timely prepare the payment
vouchers and attach the necessary documents before submitting them to the
supervisor for review based on the lead time as agreed.
- Update the cash book in the MS Excel and
compare the balances on a weekly basis and ensure that there is a
completed month end report submission with the accurate balances obtained
in the system.
- Carry out weekly comprehensive checks to
ensure that the accountability documents from the various departments are
received within seven days and the supporting documents are in line with
the set policies and procedures ensuring these are attached to relevant
off and online systems before submission for approval.
- Tasked with the preparation and submission
of Bank reconciliation every 5th of the month for review of the Head of
Finance and Administration as part of the month end submissions.
- Ensure the payroll statutory payments have
been made to the relevant authorities within the stipulated time.
- Management of petty cash and reporting on
balances on monthly basis. Ensure Monthly cash count and sign off is
- Ensure top up is done according the work
plan and scheduled as such with replenishment done timely.
- Coordinate maintenance of office equipment
and security details within the office. In liaison with the Head of
Finance and Administration and ensure maintenance of a schedule for
approval for regular and routine maintenance, with timely requests made as
- Management of the inventory and asset
register and submission of the related reports at the end of each month.
- Any other duties assigned by the
- The ideal candidate for the HIJRA Senior
Finance and Administration Officer vacancy must hold a Bachelor of
Commerce (BCOM) degree with a major in Accounting or Finance or any
related accounting/finance degree
- Certified Public Accountant Part 2 (CPA 2)
or its equivalent
- Two years’ experience in Finance ,
Procurement and Logistics in a busy INGO
- Experience in the use of computer
applications; clear understanding on the usage of Navigation (ERP)
Software, and other financial software systems
- Demonstrated experience managing donor
funds and ensuring compliance with donor requirements;
- Understanding of risks and related
relevant controls primarily in the overall grant cycle including program,
financial and procurement cycles
- Supervisory skills.
- Good communication skills
- Ability to analyses, interpret and present
monthly reports and maintain accurate records/ chronological filling for
- Ability to work as part of the team
- Highly flexible and reliable with a sense
of priority and self-awareness
- High levels of confidentiality and
application letter and Curriculum Vitae including telephone and email contacts
of three referees including your current/most recent employer.
read: “Senior Finance and Administration Officer.”